Albion 3 Blackburn 2

Last updated : 02 September 2019 By Richard Dayus

Albion again recovered from a goal down to secure their first home win of the season and maintain their unbeaten league run going into the international break.

The Baggies got off to the worst possible start when Bradley Dack took advantage of a loose Kyle Bartley pass to sweep past Sam Johnstone with just 25 seconds on the clock.

Once Slaven Bilic’s men steadied the ship, they started putting some neat passing moves together with Matheus Pereira and Grady Diangana both heavily involved and looking dangerous.

Pereira’s influence was increasing and it was the Brazilian who sent a through ball forward for Matt Phillips to chase. There was still a lot for Phillips to do as he managed to hold off the close attention of Greg Cunningham before slotting calmly past Chris Walton to get Albion back on level terms.

The home side continued to press and some good work from Darnell Furlong down the right hand side was rewarded with a second goal. Furlong beat his man and pulled the ball back for Phillips whose chip came back off the post. The ball dropped to Pereira who didn’t panic under pressure and laid the ball off to the edge of the box where the influential Jake Livermore was on hand to fire a sublime first time shot into the top corner and put the Baggies in front.

A third Albion goal soon followed and it was a sublime solo goal from on loan Grady Diangana. The winger stole the ball and then beat his man down the left hand side. Despite being fouled, Diangana’s strength and pace took him away from his marker before driving into the box and dinking a delightful finish over Walton from a narrow angle.

Despite West Brom’s first half dominance, the visitors managed to pull a goal back on the stroke of half time. A free kick towards the back post was headed goalwards and a goalmouth scramble ended with Bradley Johnson snatching one back for Rovers. Sam Johnstone is currently coming under scrutiny from some sections of The Hawthorns and will once again be questioned for his role in the goal, spilling a seemingly straightforward catch in front of goal and leading to Blackburn getting themselves back into the game.

After the break

Blackburn started the second half strongly and Albion had to ride out a 20 minute period of almost constant pressure. The visitors saw a penalty appeal turned down, had a goal disallowed for a foul on the goalkeeper and hit the post as the hosts were rocking.

The Baggies managed to ride this out and took hold of the game again to see out the victory, Slaven Bilic’s first at The Hawthorns. They should have even extended their margin of victory, Kyle Bartley missing a great chance to make it 4-2, firing over from close range.

Despite a rocky 20 minute period in the second half, The Baggies were good value for their victory, such was their first half dominance. Two sloppy mistakes allowed Blackburn back into a game that should have been dead and buried and these defensive lapses will have to be cut out if Albion are to continue their good form.